Tuesday, January 3, 2017

Italian Wedding Soup #SoupWeek

This lovely soup made of chicken broth, laced with greens and studded with tiny meatballs is not just for weddings.  It is easy enough to serve any day and elegant enough to make an appearance at your most cherished celebrations.


I served this up on a cold November evening at a dinner party for some of our dive family.  I was serving Italian for dinner and wanted to start with a soup other than Minestrone.  I found this recipe at Allrecipes.com and decided to try it.  I'm glad I did.  It is a warm, comforting soup and was the perfect start to a casual, relaxed dinner party.



I am sharing this recipe with you today as part of our #SoupWeek party being hosted by Sue of A Palatable Pastime.  Today is Day 2 and we will be back each day with more of our favorite soup recipes to warm you on these cold winter nights.

Italian Wedding Soup
slightly adapted from Allrecipes.com

1/2 lb lean ground beef
1 egg
2 T. Italian seasoned bread crumbs
1 T. grated Parmesan cheese
8 c. chicken broth
1 head escarole, thinly sliced
1 c. uncooked small pasta (I used stars)
1 carrot, thinly sliced

Place the ground beef, egg, bread crumbs and cheese into a bowl.  Using clean hands, combine ingredients thoroughly and shape into small meatballs about 3/4" round.  Set aside.

Heat chicken broth to boiling in a large soup pot.  Stir in the escarole, pasta, carrots and meatballs. Return to a boil, reduce heat to medium and cook at a slow boil for 10-15 minutes, stirring frequently. Print Recipe

Tuesday's Soup Week Offerings



4 comments:

  1. Actually Italian Wedding Soup is my favorite soup. I have never made it from scratch. Thanks for the lead. I most certainly will try it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm! Meatballs just make anything more fun. I want to try all of these soups!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.